Kratie Mondulkiri Explorer
Phnom Penh – Mondulkiri – Kratie – Siem Reap
5 days / 4 nights
BOOK DIRECT NOW & SAVE $$$
We guarantee best value for money if you book direct.
* Refer to booking conditions
* Special price for families with children
* Cost – depends on group size This price is per person in a twin/double share room. Booking for a greater number of people (ie. 5 people) you will receive a discount rate if compare to booking for 2 people. Please refer to the for details of what is included in the cost.
Go off the beaten track to explore the rolling hills & wilds of Mondulkiri, Mekong river lifestyle of Kratie; a perfect break between Phnom Penh & Siem Reap. Northeastern part of Cambodian has become one of the big tourist destinations offering real potential with protected community forests, remote rivers, traditional villages and ethnic minority tribes. Making it a unique ecotourism area of the country.
- Learn from our friendly guide about the history and culture of Cambodia
- Watch Irrawaddy river dolphins by boat
- Explore the magnificent double drop waterfall of Bou Sraa in Mondulkiri highland
- Bounong hill tribe community elephant trekking
- Learn about Cambodian life and seasonal crops
- Journey trough through countryside and rural villages
Each tour begins with Evening briefing. At 4pm we will meet at your hotel in Phnom Penh for a journey briefing. It is the first opportunity for everyone to meet the guide on their trip and to run over the final details so everyone knows what to expect.
Phnom Penh to Mondulkiri.
Today is a long drive up to 9 hours but interesting. 8:00am-8:30am hotel pick-up time depending on location. Your friendly English speaking and knowlegable guide greets you with a traditional Khmer welcome. We leave Phnom Penh and travel northeast to the bustling provincial city of Kompong Cham. En route, there is the chance to pause at Skuon, affectionately known as ‘Spiderville’, where it is possible to sample the local delicacy of deep fried tarantula. We then enjoy a local lunch in Kompong Cham. During dry season (Jan-May), we can visit the bamboo bridge built across the mighty Mekong River connecting mainland to Koh Pen Island. Our road journey continues on the east bank of the Mekong River past many rubber farms. There are many opportunities to stop along the way to experience rubber collecting and pepper plantation. We travel east towards the small junction town of Snuol, our gateway to the wilds of Mondulkiri highland. We turn right and leave behind the surfaced roads of civilization to take on the red earth roads of hill country. The first half of the journey from Snuol is flat, passing through patches of lush forest and areas of cultivation and plantations. After Kau Sima district, the road snakes up through the mountains that give Mondulkiri its name of ‘where the mountains meet’. We might also see wild monkeys out on the road. We reach Mondulkiri capital Sen Monorom around 5:00pm and check in to a comfortable lodge.
- Hotel (1 night)
- Kampong Cham – Spiderville
- Kampong Cham – Rubber Plantation
- Kampong Cham – Pepper Farm
Mondulkiri – Eco-friendly Elephant Experience at BEP.
We leave Sen Monorom after breakfast and drive 9km to the Bunong village of Putang which is the elephants village. Then we start walking from this village to look for elephants in the forests. Once we find them, you will be introduced to the herd of elephants and get to know more about their history, character, behavior, body language and relationship with mahout family. You will be able to feed the elephant buckets of bananas before walking alongside them or riding on the neck through the countryside and forest to O’te waterfall. At noon, the elephant must be taken to pastures for at least 2 hours in order to make sure they get enough food for the day. Elephants eat up to 300 kg of vegetation per day in order to sustain themselves. While the elephant is grazing, you will have a picnic Takeout Lunch by the waterfall. In the afternoon, the mahout will bring the elephant to the river for a wash. You are welcomed to get in the water and give them a hand. You can ask your mahout to try riding the elephant’s neck on your way back. Closer to the village, there is a big hill so you will challenge yourself. Later we return to Sen Monorom with an option to go up the hill of Sen Monorom for an amazing panoramic view of the Sea Forests.
- Hotel (1 night)
- Mondulkiri – Bunong Elephant Prject
- Mondulkiri – The Sea Forests
Bou Sra Waterfall, Coffee Farm Resort. Travel to Kratie.
We leave Sen Monorom and head east towards the double drop waterfall of Bou Sraa, one of the most famous in Cambodia. It is possible to access both drops and there are swimming opportunities. Along the way, we may stop at a Pnong minority village to learn a little about their way of life. After a visit to Bou Sra Waterfall we come to visit a local coffee grower (Unique product in the province).
After lunch in Sen Monorom, we leave behind the wilds of Mondulkiri, we travel to provincial city of Kratie, a sleepy Mekong port and gateway to an encounter with the rare freshwater Irrawaddy dolphin that inhabit the upper reaches of the Mekong in Cambodia. Once we arrive Kratie, we check in to hotel where we will spend the night.
- Hotel (1 night)
- Mondulkiri – Bou Sra Waterfall
- Mondulkiri – Coffe Farm
- Mondulkiri – Mayura Zipline @Waterfall, new experience with 7 thrilling ziplines, 12 platforms, 1 sky bridge, and 100 meters high zip over the falls! The ultimate Mayura Zipline that excites, educates and inspires. 7:30am – 12:00pm. $69 USD
Kratie Culture and Dolphin Watching.
After breakfast, we visit the central Market of Kratie where you will see the local trades. Then, we go off the beaten track to the rural villages where you will experience of true rural Cambodian life; seasonal crops, rice whisky making and noodle making. Be welcomed into the home of a village family and share a delicious homemade meal featuring local products and specialties. Later in the afternoon, we go to Kampi, one of the many deep pools where the rare freshwater Irrawaddy river dolphins gather to feed. We board a local boat and cruise out into the mighty Mekong for a chance to encounter with gentle creatures. Viewing is almost guarantee, although it is easier to see the dolphins in the shallower waters of the dry season, than in the swollen river of the wet season. After enjoying an hour or more of dolphin viewing, we travel back to Kratie.
- Hotel (1 night)
- Kratie – Countryside tour
- Kratie – Local productions
- Kratie – Dolphin watching by boat
Kratie to Siem Reap including Kompong Khleang.
After breakfast at the hotel, it is time to make your journey to Siem Reap, the gateway to the fabled temples of Angkor. Traveling south through the old river port of Chhlong, home to some of the best examples of French colonial architecture in the country. Have lunch on the road. En route, we visit one of the largest and least-visited villages on the Tonle Sap Lake, Kompong Khleang, about 55km from Siem Reap. It’s population of 10,000 all make a living from the fishing industry. We explore the canals (wet season) or streets (dry season) of this incredible town. In the wet season, the houses appear to be floating, as water laps at the verandas, but in the dry season towering stilts are revealed, the houses almost like wooden skyscrapers. We will take a boat and cruise into the open water of the great lake to see a small floating village and learn some more about this incredible natural flood barrier. Later we arrive to your Siem Reap and check into a comfortable hotel.
- Siem Reap – Tonle Sap boat tour to see floating village
This itinerary is written based on our tour research expeditions. It should be read in order to get a good general impression and NOT as a detailed hour by hour itinerary. Cambodian Pride Tours works with the local people; we can change parts of the tour due to weather terrain conditions depending on the season and customer requests.
- All breakfasts
- 2 lunches : one lunch in Mondulkiri at Bunong Elephant Project, one lunch in Kratie with a local family
Local transportation by private vehicle, ferry crossing and boat
Accommodation in confirmed room category and named hotels
- Accompanied at all time by experienced English speaking friendly guide
- All programs according to the description
- Mondulkiri – Bou Sra waterfall, Coffee Farm and Amazing Sea Forests
- Mondulkiri – Bonung Elephant Project
- Kratie – Whole day rural village tours according to the description
- Kratie – Dolphin watching by boat
The price of the tour does not include
- Tour services not detailed in our itinerary
- Laundry service
- International taxes and visa fees
- Early Hotel check-in/ Late check-out
- The price of the Cambodian visa
- All additional meals
- Optional programs not included in the main program
- Tips and gratuities
- Health, accident and luggage insurance
Similar tours you may like
Couldn't find suitable trip for yourself? Let us help you!
Please kindly send us your ideas about the cruise, departure date, itinerary, destinations or anything about your group. We will send you the most suitable trip and best offers quickly!
Lonely Planet Mentioned
Local tours website operated by two enthusiastic young guides from the Kratie area keen to promote real life experiences.